The year 2019 become the year where Keanu Reeves became the internet’s boyfriend. With several mega-hits on the big screen and his latest appearance on E3 this year as a game character in the upcoming, most anticipated, video game “Cyberpunk 2077” has everybody rooting him for who he is. However, what seldom people do not know is that this superstar is a fan of driving motorcycles all around the globe. Such is the extent of his love for these wild machines that he himself has partnered with a close friend to manufacture their own brand of motorbikes known as “Arch Motorcycle”. Motorcycles are thrilling to ride, the open feel, and the air rushing past you, all make for an incredible experience. However, NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) proclaims that in 2013 alone there were 4,668 fatal accidents involving motorcyclists. Furthermore, there were around 88,000 motorcyclist injuries during the same year. According to NHTSA’s report, motorcyclist fatalities occur 26 times more than as compared to people traveling through the car. This is why there is a great need for us to understand some of the most prominent causes and preventions for handling these adrenaline-filled machines. Through this post, we would like to point you towards some precautionary measures that can effectively assist you in avoiding getting hurt on the road while riding your favorite motorbike and live your dreams to the fullest. So let’s take a quick look at each one of them:
Having a Valid Driving License
You will be surprised to know that one of the most common reasons behind a motorcycle-related disaster or a motorcycle accident injury is due to the fact that the driver of the vehicle didn’t have a valid driving license. Going back to the NHTSA’s report it was found that 25% of all fatal crashes in 2013 involved riders who didn’t have a valid motorcycle license. This is a great concern since a motorcycle license is extremely important as it requires you to pass a test. This test requires you to perform to the best of your ability which shows that you can handle the vehicle properly, follow traffic rules and regulations, understand the common traffic sense, and are eligible for owning a driving license for a motorbike in the first place. Negating these significant dogmas would potentially not only put yourself in danger but others on the road as well.
Protection Gear for Motorcyclists
Many countries across the globe mandate that all motorcyclists wear protective equipment to ensure safety and minimize the risk of receiving injuries. These include:
- Helmets – most important of them all and they should be approved by your respective country’s traffic authorities.
- Protective leather clothing – these are not part of fashion statements, but are specifically designed for motorcyclists for protection against crashes. They are thicker, stronger, and moderately flexible.
- Motorcycle Boots – these are usually able to cover your leg areas below your knees. They help in protecting your feet and ankles from injuries.
- Gloves – they are also typically made of leather and have gauntlets to protect riders from wrist injuries. They also help you reduce draft when driving in colder climates.
- Goggles – motorcycle goggles are designed so that they do not impair your vision, however, their main purpose is to keep dust and other airborne particles from entering into your eyes.
Inspecting Your Vehicles Beforehand
There are some basic inspections that you are required to perform before even starting up your engines for the next ride. One of them is to make sure that you have properly maintained your vehicle. You need to check for tire air pressure, see if the horn is working perfectly, make sure that headlights and the rear brake lights are functioning without any compromises. The directional signal lights should also be in perfect condition. Lastly, you should inspect for the chain and brakes (front and back both) so that you don’t happen to face a mishap during your ride. This will help you keep a light-head on your shoulders as it will offer you self-satisfaction in knowing that nothing is wrong with your ride. Moreover, you should visit the mechanic periodically to see if some repairs are required and never delay them. Bike maintenance expense is exceptionally cheaper when compared to a car’s maintenance cost.
Essential Tips for New Riders
- Avoid bad weather especially if it is causing considerable trouble for your vision and making it impaired. Bikes have lesser traction than as compared to cars, so shunning slippery surfaces is a must.
- Keep an eye out for road hazards. Sand, gravel, wet leaves, and even pebbles as they can be considered dangerous even when driving at advised speed limits. Either avoid them completely or slow down before encountering them.
- Do not drive at a pace where you reflexes cannot handle the pressure. Hone your skills first as a rider and take things slowly. There are organizations that offer you safety courses like Motorcycle Safety Foundation where they teach you the basics regarding your control over the vehicle.
- Invest in antilock brakes as they help you avoid accidents since they offer you steering retention for the driver during emergency stops and better traction for slippery surfaces.
- Never attend phone calls when driving a motorcycle. This is due to the fact that you need to be alert and absolutely focused on driving rather than being distracted. Many laws have been imposed across major countries around the globe that heavily penalize such careless behaviors.
- Familiarize yourself with the surroundings first, know your routes by heart, and lastly avoid performing stunts on the road. There is simply no room for such conduct that puts you and others into harm’s way.
- Keep a safe distance from other vehicles as this will allow you more room to maneuver in case of an emergency. Always use your turn signals appropriately before making a turn.
That is it for now; we hope that this post was able to offer you some great insights and understandings as to how you can protect yourself while driving a motorcycle on the road. For more queries regarding the topic please feel free to let us know of your feedback in the comment section below.