Master of Philosophy (M.Phil) is a full-time postgraduate course of two years duration. The minimum qualification required to sit for the M.Phil Examination is the master’s degree in Arts, Science, Commerce, and Engineering with minimum 55% marks in their master’s degree. The Examination is directed in two phases, that is the written Examination and the personal Interview. These rounds are conducted to understand the knowledge of the students. The two years course duration may also change according to the new rules and regulations decided by the institute.
Latest Update on M.Phil – As per reports of Times of India, the University Grants Commission (UGC) along with the Human Resource Development Ministry is considering options to conduct the exams online. The universities with these courses have been informed that the Examination may be conducted online through Skype or any other meeting apps for the safety of the students. UGC has initiated one Committee which recommends conducting exams in online mode. As of now, no official confirmation is out yet.
The internal exams can be conducted online, but the regular classes will begin only after the lockdown is over. The classes for the third year will begin from the 1st of August, and the classes for the first and second year will begin from the 1st of September.
M.Phil (Philosophy) Course Details
- The M.Phil in Philosophy is a post-graduation course.
- Course duration is for two years.
- The Examination for the course is conducted annually.
- Eligibility for the M.Phil Examination is the master’s degree in Arts, Science, and engineering with minimum 55% marks in their master’s degree.
- The course fees for the Examination is INR 2000 to 2 Lakhs.
- The average starting salary after the placement would be around INR 2 Lakhs to 12 lakhs per annum
- A CEO can earn up to 30 Lakhs per annum.
The top recruiting companies are
The students in philosophy have a decent scope and are hired by top companies in India. Please find the list below:
- Coaching Institutes
- Editing Houses
- Publishing Houses
- Meditation Centers
- Public Relations and Journalism
- Philosophical Counseling
- Philosophical Practices
The job roles are
- Teachers or Professors
- Novelist, Writer and Poet
- Technical Writer
- Chief Executive Officer
- Public Relation Journalist
What is M.Phil in Philosophy precisely about?
This course is designed to give a higher level of education to the eligible students in the field of philosophy. The course requires students to have a keen understanding and also a great ability to communicate well with others. They should also have practical knowledge about the problems and also have analytical skills.
The course emphasis more on theoretical knowledge and also the experience-based study. Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems. In these two years of the course, the students will work on the two-term papers, two seminar papers as the course are inclined more on the research.
The top colleges and universities for the M.Phil (Philosophy) course
To study M.Phil, the one question that comes to your mind is college. So, here is the list below:
- Punjab University in Chandigarh and the average fees is 8,707 INR.
- The University of Delhi in New Delhi and the average fees in INR are 5,138.
- Savitribai Phule University in Pune and the average fees in INR is 14,000.
- Assam University in Silchar and the average fees in INR is 7,760.
- Annamalai University, Cuddalore and the average fees in INR is 45,000.
- Christ University, Bangalore and the average fees in INR is 60,000.
- Guru Nanak Dev University in Amritsar and the average fees in INR is 27,000.
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata and the average fees in INR is 2,160.
- Madras Christian College in Tamil Nadu and the average fees in INR is 1,83,000.
- Mewar University in Mewar and the average fees in INR is 53,000.
- Pondicherry University in Pondicherry and the average fees in INR is 3,900.
- Rabindra Bharati University in West Bengal and the average fees in INR is 5,608.
- Rani Durgavati University, Jabalpur and the average fees in INR is 4,200.
- The University of Calcutta in Kolkata and the average fees in INR is 3,395.
Eligibility for M.Phil in Philosophy
- The eligibility for the M.Phil Examination is the master’s degree in Arts, Science, and engineering.
- The candidates should pass with the minimum 55% marks in their master’s degree.
Admission Process for M.Phil in Philosophy
The admission in M.Phil in Philosophy is conducted by various colleges and universities to test the eligibility of the student’s knowledge in the particular field. Firstly to fill the forms the students must have the proper eligibility of the under graduation certificate in a proper subject with the minimum marks of 55%. After the minimum eligibility criteria are fulfilled by the candidates, then they are eligible to fill up the forms and then appear for the Examination and clear it.
The competitive exam for in M.Phil in Philosophy is conducted in two stages. The first one is the written ability test so once the candidates clear the first round they are then eligible to sit for the second round. The second round is more of a one on one conversation between the examiner and the candidates. Therefore, the first round is the written based exam, and the second one is the personal interview.
We have provided the latest information that was announced by the University Grants Commission (UGC) and the Human Resource Development. This information is tentatively announced and stay tuned to official websites for more information. Also, if your aspiring to study M.Phil in Philosophy, check the top colleges mentioned here and plan better.