Neck pains like stiff necks can cause so much pain it can hinder a person’s daily activities and even the time to rest and sleep.
There are various reasons why neck pains exist. Nowadays, too much usage of devices like tablets and mobile phones is the top cause, because of the wrong and awkward angles and positions of the head and neck while browsing to these gadgets. This incorrect position gives muscle strains and even to the soft, delicate tissues on the neck causing the pain.
Aside from this, other reasons are the improper standing and sitting posture, clenching of the jaw, too much stress, history of neck and head injury, conditions like osteoarthritis, and tedious motion on the neck.
HOW TO PREVENT NECK PAIN INSTANTLY
Neck problems can be solved by establishing discipline on the daily activities and changes in the daily lifestyle. Also, doing regular exercises can be a great help to solve these neck conditions, and also to prevent the neck from being strained or injured.
Here are more ways to get rid the neck pains in a less-hassle way:
Create and maintain an efficient type of workplace
People working for eight hours a day while sitting is another reason for causing neck pains along with other illnesses. To prevent these while working:
- Ensure that your working chair is in a comfortable position. Your feet should be flat on the floor; your knees are positioned lower than your hips.
- Have an ergonomic posture even while sitting, the back is straight and the arms are lowered to the desk.
- Your computer must be on your eye-level.
- Ergonomic keyboard and mouse are good tools to use while working.
- Do not forget to stand up and have some stretches every hour.
Give yourself boundaries in using your mobile phones
As already mentioned, gadgets like cell phones are the main reason of neck pains, because the neck muscles are being pulled which causes too much tension on it. You can do the following to avoid muscle strains while using your smart phones:
- Use your phone on your eye-level.
- Avoid holding your phone between your ear and shoulder.
- Have an hourly break from using your phone.
- Use headphones or ear buds.
- Have some stretches after using your phone to relax your muscles.
Avoid driving for longer periods at a time
Just as how while sitting in front of your desk can stress your neck, so is driving. As much as possible, avoid driving for longer time. But if you have to, you can consider doing the following:
- Allow your body to stand and have some stretches.
- You can set an alarm to notify you when it is time to have some stretches.
- Position your seat in a way that you are comfortable, with the most support and maintain your good posture.
- Avoid texting while driving. Aside from the fact that it is illegal and dangerous, your neck pushes to look up and down continually, focusing both on the road and your phone.
Do some stretching
Stopping to do some occasional stretches is one of the best ways to get rid of the neck pains you are experiencing. These stretching activities can include:
- Rolling the shoulders back and forth
- Squeezing the shoulder blades many times
- Unhurriedly moving the ear to the shoulder on each side
- Gradually turning the head side to side
Consider changing your position while sleeping
Even the moment you are resting can cause stress to your neck, and it is because of your sleeping position. Consider sleeping on your side or back, since this can put less neck tension compared to sleeping on your stomach since it forces the neck to release more tension for a longer time causing to experience pain and stiffness.
When sleeping on the side, you can use a pillow with neck support.
REMEDIES FOR NECK PAINS
If you already have stiff neck or other neck pains, you can try the following to lessen the pain and stiffness, even to prevent any of these. For more ways to reduce it, click here for info:
Applying heat or ice
Doing this for 20 minutes a few times a day helps to relieve inflammations in the neck. Alternating heat and ice application, taking a warm bath and or shower and using heating pad. can be a good idea too.
Taking over-the-counter pain relievers
Some of these over-the-counter medicines to reduce pain are Ibuprofen, Naproxen sodium and Acetaminophen.
Treat yourself with a massage
A trained massage therapist can loosen the tension plus soothes the muscles especially on your neck.
This is a procedure that involves needle insertion to the particular pressure points in the body. This process has been done thousands of years ago in Eastern medicine. Just make sure to visit a reliable acupuncture practitioner.
You can also try chiropractic care
A chiropractor is able to manipulate the muscles to reduce the pain. However, consultation with your physician must be done prior to the procedure for it can be painful and uncomfortable for some people.