Interpersonal communication skills like verbal communication are essential in establishing teamwork in the workplace and achieve business success. Your business cannot be profitable if your staff cannot communicate effectively or in conflict. One solution to the issue is to conduct training on interpersonal relations.
Excellent communication skills allow your employees to interact with customers, co-workers, and management in a friendly way. They will learn how to manage their differences amicably and cooperate to achieve a common goal. With teamwork, your company can improve its bottom line.
Essential Components of Verbal Communication
Before conducting your training, it is crucial to learn about the primary elements of verbal communication. Your employees need to know more about them to improve your oral communication practices.
- Voice volume – This component refers to the loudness or softness of your speech. The proper loudness of voice can foster intelligent and friendly communication among your workers.
- Voice tone – The tone of your voice shows your feelings. You can express your irritability, anger, frustration, or joy through your voice. When communicating with co-workers, customers, or higher-ups, you should use a friendly and respectful tone.
- Voice speed – This element can convey your cultural background or your ethnicity. It can also be a way to communicate your feelings. Practice talking slowly to enable your listeners to understand what you are trying to convey to them.
- Grammar – This component allows you to communicate your message to your audience correctly. Your use of incorrect grammar may result in miscommunication that may lead to business losses.
- Vocabulary – Your vocabulary consists of the words you use to communicate with others. The proper use of words increases the clarity of your message.
- Language – If you have a diverse set of employees, the use of a global language like English is crucial. Ensure all your employees use only one language in their communication.
Useful Tips in Implementing Employee Training to Enhance Communication Skills
There are several steps you may follow when planning and conducting interpersonal communication skills training. These steps allow you to maximize the skills learned by your workers. Here are some strategies you may consider:
- Evaluate the interpersonal and behavioral skills of your personnel. This way, you can assess the employees who need intensive coaching and those who only require little training. You can also ask the good communicators to assist their colleagues in developing their skills.
- Enroll your staff into interpersonal communication courses to improve their verbal communication They can also take online courses where they can study in their own time. You can also purchase educational videos as additional resources in their training.
- Organize on-site interpersonal communication training. Another way to train your personnel is to hire professionals to conduct training in your company. They can coach a small group of employees one at a time, or you can ask them to include all staff in the activities.
- Conduct an assessment or evaluation to determine the effectiveness of the courses or training. Based on the results, you can identify the employees with leadership potential and those who need more practice. You can implement the training as part of your professional development program.
Proper communication is an essential component of business management. By training your employees on how to communicate with customers, co-workers, and higher-ups, you are improving their productivity and your company’s profitability.